Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 in Review

The other night, I was looking for an old blog post on one of my old blogs. It was ASTONISHING to me to see how prolific my posting was at that stage of my life. Truly amazing. I had that much time? And that many thoughts of my own? And that much time?! It made me nostalgic for the days I was bursting with something to say that didn't revolve around nap schedules, or illnesses, or grumpiness about something in my life.

A friend recently told me she wants me to start posting more. I can't promise how frequently I'll find time to sit down and write, especially because of some changes over the last year that make me more circumspect in how much I share, but I'll try. I'll try to update more than once every few months.

So, in that spirit, here is a brief update on some of my goals I wanted to hit before I turned 30, as well as some highlights from the last few months.

1. Get my nose pierced. - Didn't happen because I didn't quite hit goal weight.
2. Lose 15 pounds. - I lost 13. I was within 2 pounds when I got pregnant.
3. Run a 5k. - Definitely did not. I walked 4+ miles once!
4. Have a fantastic 5-year anniversary trip. - Accomplished! We went to Puerto Vallarta, and it was wonderful.
5. Get pregnant. - Check :)
6. Go skiing at least 2x this season. - Fail. I still have yet to ski since becoming a Colorado resident.
7. Get our family healthier. - Check. One sick visit for Seh and none for Adrian or I. Thanks to the oils, we're able to manage most bugs at home and knock them out quickly.
8. Go to a concert at Red Rocks. - Did not :(
9. Get paid to take some pictures. - YES!! I shot 3 weddings this summer and officially launched my wedding photography business.
10. Decorate our bedroom and make it cozy. - Check. I painted this summer, got new bedding and got new nightstands.
11. Be a confident and frequent baby-wearer. - Notsomuch. I wore Seh a little, but just got a Mei Tei to start practicing with for #2.
12. Family beach trip. - Nope. Hoping for August/September 2015.
13. Buy a new computer. - Check. This was a must-have when my old Macbook crashed.
14. Read my Bible more diligently. - I suck at this.
15. Go to a Rockies game as a family. - We actually did a couple! First time was RIGHT behind the visitor's dugout. Fantastic seats, but a little nerve-wracking with a baby!
16. Cook 5 nights a week most weeks. - I'd say "check." We've been eating out less in the evenings.
17. Get a kitten or puppy :) - Many tears over this, but no. A says maybe this time next year.
18. Develop a weekly housecleaning schedule. - Check. I don't stick to it, but I have one!
19. Do some crafts I've been delaying (i.e., wall art for our bedroom). - Check. Now to HANG said wall art.
20. Find a couple of local beers I actually like. - Check. There was a pumpkin one I loved and I LOVED the smell of 43 Elbows at Rock Bottom. Now to try it when I'm not with child!
21. Go paddle boarding this summer. - Check! I tried at a river festival and it was really fun!
22. Eat at some of the local, legit Hispanic restaurants in our neighborhood. - Sadly, no.
23. Work up to walking to the zoo regularly to use my zoo pass. - I walked to the zoo once. So, check? I did go to the zoo a bunch.
24. Get a library card and use it. - Check! And we usually walk to the library.
25. Get my hair cut more than once this year. - Fail. I think I got it cut once.
26. Try a new restaurant during Restaurant Week. - Double fail since they did 2 restaurant weeks.
27. Have a veggie garden again this summer, and actually harvest and eat the produce. - Check. We ate peppers, basil, kale, and chives!
28. Go for a hike. - Check? We went up to Boulder Canyon, which was part hike/part stroller derby.
29. Eat at Civic Center Eats this summer. - Fail :(
30. Go to Jazz in the Park once. - Fail :(

So there ya go. Some accomplished, some not. The last few weeks have been full of a lot of wallowing (on my part) about turning 30, the holidays coming and going in ways I didn't expect and the passage of another year. However, as I look back over the goals I set for 2014, I'm pretty proud of where we ended up. The year started with so much uncertainty, but we did some big things along the way. A started a new career, I began staying at home and working on building two businesses, we hosted ALL of our family here over Christmas, our daughter is growing well and is a joy and delight, we have another baby on the way, we began paying on debts and we began to develop some structures and stability in our life.

Of course, 2015 will bring with it new challenges, new decisions for our family, new joys and new growth. I'd be lying if I said I was excited about all the new year has in store, but honestly, I'm a little trepidatious. So, for today, I'll snuggle in, enjoy the snow outside, continue listening to Christmas music, make some candies, snacks and dips, and try to truly live in the moment and enjoy this last day of 2014.

Merry Christmas, y'all, and happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment